Save Stephenson House: the proposal
Update: On April 8th, 2010’s Board of Regents meeting, the administration’s new proposal for S. House passed by 1 vote (15 for the administration’s new proposal to 14 against). Craig was only allowed to speak once while President Gooch, who was in favour of the proposal, answered all the questions. This was biased. Discussion took the meeting 45 min over the regular time. Never in a Board of Regents meeting was the vote a secret ballot. In this case, it was.
On Thursday, April 8, 2010, the Victoria University Board of Regents will vote on a proposal to fundamentally alter Stephenson House, a co-operative house for Vic students who have financial need and are involved in the community. The proposal will entail:
- moving the community from 63 Charles St. West to the 12-person suite in the Rowell Jackman residence;
- adding a meal plan, directly undercutting the cooperative meals which are at the heart of the community;
- charging full residence fees with the possibility of financial assistance under the regular bursary system.
Meanwhile, the current plan is for 63 Charles to remain vacant for the next academic year.
If you want to help save Stephenson House, here are some steps you can take:
- sign the petitions circulating around campus (or pick up a blank one and get others to sign!)
- come to the Board of Regents meeting on Thursday, April 8 at 3:30pm in Old Vic to show your support
- email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to join the campaign more actively.
Stephenson House Forever!